Random Thoughts on 11/5/07
I don’t have just one blog post in me so here goes a list of random things…Â
- Â The Psalms. Like I saidÂ here,Â I have been reading the Psalms in the morning before I start work, at lunch break and when I finish up for the day. Or, I should say that has been my goal. Â I’ve yet to go 3 for 3 for an entire day. Â It’s amazing how distracted I get and how easy it is to forget this. Â The times that I have done it though have been really meaningful. Â I made myself a goal of making it to Tuesday (tomorrow) and I believe I will set a goal for another week. Â Â Its worth the effort. Â The Psalms are turning out to be a perfect way to break up my workday.
- Design Update. I’ve been designing sites like crazy the last few weeks. Â I currently have 5 projects on the table with a couple more in the works. Â What a perfect time to actually take a day off…
- A Day Off. Speaking of days off, they have been amazing. Â Because I usually work on Saturday’s and always work on Sunday’s I’ve started taking one day a week (usually Thursdays) to stay home and be with my family. Â My day pretty much involves playing cars, superglueing broken toys, doing the dishes, playing hide-and-seek, watching cartoons, grocery shopping and other fun things. Â The best is that Cole (my 4 year old) is now bragging to some of our friends that “on Thursday daddy stays home and plays with me all day long.” Â I can’t tell you how amazing it is to see the look on his face when I tell him its my day off and I’m not going to work. Â For most of you with normal jobs this day for me probably looks a lot like your Saturday, at least it should. Â I’m thankful that my wife demanded that I do this. Â It’s priceless.
- Future of Web Design. I am headed to NYC tomorrow evening for a web design conference. Â This conference,Â Future of Web Design,Â is my first non-pastoral, work-related conference. Â I’m guessing it will be a tad different than I’ve experienced at pastor’s gatherings. Â Then again, I’ve been to a bunch of Emergent stuff so maybe not! Â Either way, I’ve been looking forward to this event for quite some time. Â Pretty much anybody who is important in the industry is going to be there. Â Including me… ha! Â I am looking forward to seeing a few friends who I haven’t seen for a long time there too (Matt,Â JimÂ andÂ Dave).Â
- The Well 3 Years. Yesterday (Sunday) at The Well we celebrated 3 years of being in our space. Â We’re a church that has a 10 year history but for all practical purposes we’re 3 years old. Â So, Sunday was a neat time for our community and we had a fantastic meeting on Sunday night hearing what each of us dream and envision The Well to be 3 years from now. It was really awesome for me to hear the visions that everyone else had in their heads. Â More on that later perhaps…
- Lost. Â Melanie and I finally finished Season 3 of Lost. Â We watched the first three seasons in about 2 months. Yeah, sleep has been on short supply. Â But, wow. What a show. Â I used to argue that 24 was better but I was sadly mistaken. Â Can’t wait till February. Â At least my wife and I can start talking about something other than theories about what in the world is going on in this show… Back to normal life again!
- Soccer. Â Cole has been playing soccer at the local YMCA. Â This weekend he scored 2 goals. Â The first one was awesome because this was the first game they played with goalies. As he says he “kicked it right past the goalie!” Â Mason also seems to be enjoying soccer. Â I’ve got some video to upload soon. Â Since he started walking he’s been kicking the soccer ball. Â I dunno, maybe it is in the blood… Â Video to come soon.
Well, I need to get some sleep. Â I have to get a ton of work done before I hit the train and head to NYC tomorrow.